- Adopting a constitution that most Scottish local authorities are supporting.
- Approving a business plan to focus our direction.
- Providing a support network for members’ services staff.
- Offering an arena for debate on new legislation and the implications of change.
- Delivering seminars for Elected Members and their support staff.
- Developing a nationally recognised professional qualification for members’ services staff in conjunction with West Lothian College.
- Being a sounding board for partner organisations working with elected members.
- Launching an annual newsletter for inform colleagues about what is happening within SMSDN.
- Developing a website to improve communication within our area of expertise.